A few nice best exercise to burn fat images I found:
Glengallan Homestead Servants Quarters
Image by Alpat
Glengallan Homestead, built 1867-1868, is located on the southwestern slope of Mount Marshall at the mouth of a wide valley, running west from Cunningham’s Gap, near the junction of the Cunningham and New England Highways approximately 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) north of Warwick.
This valley was the original Darling Downs, discovered and named by explorer Allan Cunningham (1791-1839) in 1827 in honour of the Governor of New South Wales, Sir Ralph Darling (1775-1858), and the name Darling Downs was later used to identify the surrounding region of open rolling country with rich and deep soils. Cunningham found a gap in the dividing range, and the following year, while visiting Moreton Bay, he found a gap which he thought was the same one he had discovered previously, and which became known as Cunningham’s Gap.
This open country had been carefully and deliberately maintained by the Aborigines in what has been called firestick farming, an annual pattern of controlled burns to protect certain resource areas and pasture for native grazing animals. The Aboriginal burning pattern was disrupted within the first years of the runs being taken up, and the local Aboriginal population were soon killed off.
The unsettled districts outside the nineteen counties around Sydney had been thrown open to squatters by the 1836 licence system. This system proved ineffective and in 1839 a new Act was passed. This Act provided for an annual licence fee to be paid, determined per head of stock on the run, and also provided administration by Commissioners of Crown Lands. However, the squatters still had no permanency of land tenure, and in 1847 Orders in Council were introduced which allowed further 14 year leases for established unsettled runs on payment of an annual fee per head of stock. The Orders in Council also gave the run holders the pre-emptive right to purchase the land for its fair value in an unimproved state at less than one pound per acre at the completion of the lease. Pre-emption was allowed to continue until 1868, and meant that nearly all the best land, creek frontages, water holes and portions guarding leasehold areas were pre-empted. It allowed the squatters to hold onto their land, but also plunged many of them into debt often resulting in financial ruin.
Patrick Leslie (1815-1881) born at Warthill, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, the second son of William Leslie, ninth laird of Warthill and eight of Folla, had sailed from London in 1834 and arrived in New South Wales in May 1835. He gained pastoralist experience under the Macarthurs of Camden, and in 1836 went to manage the property of his uncle Davidson on the Krui River at Colleroi. By 1839 Leslie had rented Dunheved farm at Penrith, and when his brothers Walter and George arrived he decided to look for new land north of the limits of settlement. In 1840 he started with a large party for the Clarence River district, and then resolved to look at the Darling Downs. With one companion, a convict named Murphy, he followed Cunningham’s trail and relocated the Darling Downs and decided on the area that was to become Toolburra and Canning Downs for his first station. Walter Leslie and Ernest Dalrymple followed with the flocks, and in 1840 the Leslies became the first settlers on the Darling Downs.
Ernest Dalrymple took up a run next to the Leslies, and all runs on the Downs were taken up by June 1841. The Leslies originally selected all the land which became Toolburra, South Toolburra, Glengallan, Gladfield, Maryvale, Warwick and Canning Downs, and had taken up a far greater area than which they were entitled under a New South Wales licence. They had to dispose of the areas that became Glengallan, Sandy Creek, and Fred (Bracker) the German’s Creek (Rosenthal) to the Aberdeen Company.
The Leslies negotiated permission to bring supplies from the Moreton Bay settlement, even though it was not open to commerce. The settlement opened in 1842 however, and thereafter all the Downs squatters (run holders) were free to have supplies sent in and wool sent out to Ipswich, from where they could be transported by river to Brisbane.
In 1841-42 the Leslie brothers sold approximately 42,000 acres (17,000 ha) to brothers Colin and John Campbell, Scottish immigrants, who named it Glengallan Run. The Leslies noted they had disposed of the buildings and the right of the lower part of the run for which they had no use and they had received £250 for it. This description may have included Glengallan, Fred the German’s Creek and Sandy Creek.
By 1844, Campbell and Co were in liquidation, but the partnership recovered and after 1844 it appears that licences for Glengallan were issued in the sole name of Colin Campbell. Another brother, Archibald, managed the property from 1845–48 and during this time the stock numbers increased considerably, but disease broke out in 1847. Glengallan was offered for sale in November 1847, but this was not successful.
The Campbell’s first encampment had been at Freestone Creek, an area which has become known as Campbell Plains, but it proved unsuitable for sheep due to wooded areas and dingo habitat. The camp subsequently moved to Glengallan Creek, known as Gap Creek, near the slope of what became Mt Marshall. It has been suggested that their c.1842 residence, described as a rude but substantial hut, would have been close to the site of the present homestead being close to the creek but above flood level, with expansive views of the surrounding area and a relatively flat terrace of land, but the exact location has not been positively identified. The 1846 diary of the New South Wales Commissioner for Crown Lands, Darling Downs District, stated the run was 120 square miles with 15,000 head of sheep, 400 cattle and 30 horses. In 1848, a NSW Government Gazette noted Colin Campbell holding leases for Glengallan totalling 60,000 acres (24,000 ha). Glengallan was located in a pivotal position on the main roads, which have changed slightly in position, from Toowoomba/Drayton heading towards the south and from the Downs properties heading towards Cunningham’s Gap.
The NSW Government Gazette published a list of transfers of runs dated 11 October 1848 recording the transfer of Glengallan from Colin Campbell to the unrelated Robert Tertius Campbell (1811-1887) with whom Colin Campbell banked, and it appears that the three Campbell brothers died in 1853. Robert Tertius Campbell, whose father was a Director of the Bank of New South Wales, was related to the Campbells of Duntroon in the Monaro district, and had been lessee of Jondaryan in 1845, gained the lease of North Branch of Swamps Run in 1849, and continued leasing Canning Creek until 1852. The NSW Government Gazette dated 30 July 1852 recorded that RT Campbell transferred his interest in Glengallan to his partner Charles Henry Marshall, who had previously been his managing clerk and whom he took into partnership in Glengallan it appears in 1849-50. RT Campbell then moved on to the newly opened Burnett District.
In December 1851 and March 1852, the artist Conrad Martens (1801-1878), who had arrived in Sydney in 1835, stayed at Glengallan during the course of his five-month trip to the Brisbane area and the Darling Downs in search of painting commissions. He travelled through the country making pencil drawings, many of which he used as the basis for water colours and oil paintings, which he executed on his return to Sydney. These drawings and paintings are some of the few illustrations of Queensland during this time, and his sketches of Glengallan show the main homestead as two timber buildings surrounded by verandahs and situated close together.
Charles Henry Marshall (1818-1874) was born in Mauritius and had a background in Leith in Scotland and Totnes in Devon, England. He came to Australia in 1842 as Bookkeeper for the Van Diemen’s Land Company at Circular Head (Stanley) and was Superintendent of the company’s Woolnorth Station at Cape Grim from 1846 to 1849 after which he moved to Queensland. He was appointed Magistrate in 1849-50 and took John Deuchar into partnership in 1855. Marshall was an active member of the Church of England, and in 1858 gave 11 acres (4.5 ha) of land in Warwick to the church as the site for a parsonage and glebe. A parsonage, named Hillside, was built on the site for Reverend Benjamin Glennie. He visited England in 1857 where he married his wife, Charlotte Augusta Dring Drake (daughter of Sir William Henry Drake). The couple returned to Glengallan in early 1858, but left again and returned to England in 1860. Charles travelled to Queensland alone in late 1864 and arranged for Deuchar to buy out his interest. Marshall retired from the partnership and departed for England in April 1865, but was to return to Australia due to Deuchar’s financial difficulties in 1870.
During their partnership, Marshall and Deuchar established the famous Glengallan Merino flock and Shorthorn stud.
Stud merino rams at Glengallan Station, 1894
John Deuchar (1820-1872) was born in Aberdeen, Scotland, and with his sister Beatrice migrated to New South Wales in 1839. He gained pastoral experience in the Hunter River district and c.1842 drove sheep from Maitland to the Darling Downs for the Aberdeen Co, and later for the North British Australian Co. From 1844 he was overseer at Goomburra, and after two years with the support of Walter Grey of Ipswich, he bought Canal Creek well stocked with Talgai Merinos. In 1848 Deuchar sold Canal Creek, and succeeded Fred Bracker as manager of Rosenthal for the Aberdeen Co, and became travelling superintendent of the company’s properties. In 1829 Bracker, from Mecklenburg, Germany, had brought to New South Wales a flock of Saxon Merinos of the Rambouillet family from Prince Esterhazy’s Silesian flock for the Aberdeen Co. On Rosenthal, Deuchar had the first two thoroughbred Merino rams on the Darling Downs; Camden Billy from John Macarthur’s stud at Camden Park, already there when he took over, and German Billy, which he brought with him from Canal Creek. A fine Merino stud was developed from a blend of Spanish Negretti Cabana and Rambouillet strains, developing long, superfine wool. Deuchar began breeding cattle, especially Shorthorns, and brought to Rosenthal Lord Raglan, the first imported Shorthorn bull to reach the Downs, and well bred cattle from the Australian Agricultural Co’s properties farther south. He also developed a horse racing stud, and his stallion Grey Arab, bought from one of the Aberdeen Co’s properties, sired many fine horses which Deuchar rode successfully at race meetings both on the flat and over fences.
In 1855 Deuchar went into partnership with Marshall on Glengallan, and continued his stock breeding. His overseer William Anderson had been at school with him and had come to the colony on the same ship. Deuchar insisted on building up his own teams of employees, and on taking over Rosenthal and Glengallan he dispersed the families on the properties and replaced them with other employees already known to him.
In 1857 Deuchar married Eliza Charlotte Lee, the sister of Dr Washington Lee of Warwick, in Paddington Sydney, and travelled to Europe in 1858-60 where he purchased stock which would become important in building up Glengallan’s flocks. In Germany Deuchar selected ten rams and ten ewes from the flocks of Baron Von Malzahn at Lenschow in Mecklenburg, of which Marshall made a further selection of ten rams and fifteen ewes in 1862, the last time that outside blood was introduced and the Glengallan Merinos were bred up from this stock.
By 1865 Marshall and Deuchar had pre-empted 18,172 acres (7,354 ha), which rose to 31,166 acres (12,612 ha) by the end of 1867. This was 66% of the total run area which totalled 44,800 acres (18,100 ha), being the highest percentage of pre-empted selection of land of any run in the 1860-1874 period.
By 1864 the Glengallan Head Station complex included two houses, stables and a kitchen, with new stables having been built prior to 1858. In 1866 it was described by Kate Hume, a visitor, as the house has been added to, till it resembles a village, connected by verandahs and covered ways!
Glengallan Homestead was constructed in 1867-68, and it is thought that Deuchar had been planning his house for some time. The extant office/store building with cellar was constructed in 1864 by local builder Donald Meiklejohn from local sandstone, and is thought to be both experimental and an integral part of the total envisaged precinct. A variety of sizes of sandstone block was used, unlike the regular masonry of the house or the irregular stonework of the verandah foundation. It has been suggested that the cellar was experimental in determining the movement and depth of the black soil, and that subsequently cellars were not chosen for the main house. It appears that the cellar was a cold store, and that the dry goods store was above, with the estate office.
Deuchar had intended to build a much larger house, possibly in a U-shape plan, although he only had time and resources to build one wing of Glengallan Homestead. Unconfirmed reports state that a massive hole was dug for the foundations, up to 20 feet (6.1 m) wider than the building, till sandstone was reached. On this sandstone a massive platform of basalt rubble was laid, and the outer and dividing walls were then constructed and the intervening spaces refilled to ground level. During construction the Warwick Examiner and Times noted in November 1867 that Glengallan will be one of the most splendid gentlemen’s residences in the colony.
The sandstone for Glengallan Homestead was quarried on the property, from an area near Swan Creek at Yangan, and the verandah sandstone, much coarser and softer, comes from Karcaruda, which was a former settlement and railway siding near Swan Creek.
The construction of Glengallan was supervised by Warwick builder Thomas Wood, possibly for architect Charles Balding who, based in Ipswich, had opened a temporary office in Toowoomba and his practice extended to the Darling Downs. Balding had designed Gooloowan in Quarry Street, Ipswich, for Benjamin Cribb, which was built in 1863-64 and is noted as being similar to Glengallan. It has also been suggested that Richard George Suter (1827-1894) may have been involved, possibly taking over from Balding who left the colony in 1867. Suter later designed Jimbour House, a two-storeyed sandstone homestead built 1873-74.
Deuchar had two suites of furniture made at Ebenstons in Queen Street, Brisbane, for the drawing and dining rooms. The fact that local materials and a local manufacturer were used was publicised in the Brisbane Courier in August 1868. Reports of the cost of the house vary between £5-12,000, and a gala opening party was held on 16 September 1868. The Deuchars hosted many social events during their time at Glengallan, and house guests included Governor Bowen and his family. Deuchar had envisaged the ground floor rooms as drawing room (north) and ball room (south), but were actually used as drawing room (south) and dining room (north) with bedrooms on the first floor.
Nine months after the opening party, Glengallan was offered for sale. The cost of the pre-emptive purchase, building a grand house, a drought, and buying Marshall out of the partnership all contributed to Deuchar’s financial ruin. In early 1865 Deuchar had taken over sole control of the management of Glengallan, and contracted to buy the property by taking out a mortgage with Marshall payable in ten years.
Deuchar was unable to pay instalments on the mortgage and in early 1869 Marshall agreed to Deuchar raising finance elsewhere and paying him out. This did not occur and Deuchar, who also had significant other debts, sought to sell Glengallan starting in May 1869. Brewster and Trebeck sought to auction the property on 7 July 1869, deferred this to 21 July, but failed to attract a satisfactory bid. The beginning of the end came in August when the Bank of Australasia started legal proceedings in the Queensland Supreme Court against Deuchar for the payment of an outstanding overdraft. Another sale of Glengallan was proposed for 2 February 1870, but this did not go ahead because Deuchar was declared bankrupt on that date. At a final hearing in April 1870 Deuchar’s proven debts were £97,000 with £80,329 owed to Marshall and £15,859 to bankers. The valuation of Glengallan, including all its stock, property and chattels, was £80,000 so Marshall exercised his pre-emptive, and secured, rights as mortgagee and took possession of Glengallan. This included the Deuchar silver plate (much of which had been paid for by Charles in England) and other contents of the household. Deuchar retired to Mile End in Warwick where he died of pneumonia aged 50 on 11 September 1872, survived by his wife, two daughters and six sons.
During Deuchar’s occupation, the servants quarters and buggy shed were built, and the gardens and avenue of trees were laid out. The house water supply and sewerage disposal system was also developed, with the water being pumped from the creek using a 2.5 horse-power Bailey engine, and the pump appears to have been set on a sandstone block platform. The water was pumped to a holding tank below the bathroom, then up to a 200-gallon lead lined wooden roof tank supplying cold water for bath, shower and flushing toilet on the first floor. The large size of the roof tank was probably due to the type of toilet system used, a rare feature at the time, which had been invented in 1778 and required high water pressure. The pump was also used to irrigate the gardens around the house.
During the next 20 years, the two early houses were demolished, and the covered way to one of the houses was truncated. A rear wing, known as the cedar wing, was built to provide guest rooms, estate office, cook’s bedroom and housekeeper’s room. The kitchen was built adjoining the side of the covered way, but separate from the stone house, and was set on stumps with a large chimney at its eastern end. The bath house was built against the western end of the south verandah.
Marshall returned in November 1870 and remained until 1873 when he took William Ball Slade into partnership and again retired to England where he died in August 1874. The partnership continued however, with Marshall’s share transferred to his widow, Charlotte Augusta Dring Marshall, until 1904 when the property was sold. Charlotte asked Slade to return the Deuchar silver plate to Eliza Deuchar in 1877.
A new woolshed was completed to the northwest of the house in 1873, being approximately three times the size of the present woolshed. The earliest position of the woolshed is noted in 1859-60. The 1873 woolshed is noted as having a T-shape plan and could accommodate 22 shearers, and was described in 1892 as being a hardwood structure, with a shingle roof, that could accommodate 1,000 sheep. The exact position of the washpool has been disputed, but some sources indicate that it was located upstream from the house. Clean wool was abandoned in favour of greasy wool with the cessation of sheep washing in the 1870s.
During WB Slade’s time at Glengallan, many changes occurred resulting from the increased diversification of the property into dairying and crops. In the open areas fostered by the Aboriginal land management practices, prior to European settlement, a pasture dominated by nutritious grasses had developed. These grasses did not survive intensified stocking, particularly when fencing became a standard practice, and less nutritious grasses took their place. A gradual decline in the carrying capacity was noted during the period 1860-1880, and the solution was to improve the feed and as a result lucerne became a major crop.
From 1842-1868 any cultivation was limited to paddocks lower than the house and closer to the creek. After 1868, Deuchar’s pump, installed to deliver water to the house, was used to irrigate nearby fields. After 1880, the benefit of lucerne as a fodder crop was recognised and the cultivation of wheat and other grains began to assume importance. For the following 80 to 90 years, many of the paddocks above and near the house were cultivated for crops, and much soil was washed away.
Stud short horn bulls at Glengallan Station, 1894
William Ball Slade (1843-1938) was born in Somerset, England, and after some legal training migrated to Sydney in 1861 where his elder brother was practising as a solicitor. After pastoral experience in New South Wales and Queensland, Slade married Sophia Thompson on 1 March 1873 at St Mark’s Church of England Warwick, and that year became manager and partner of Glengallan. Deuchar had established notable Shorthorn and Merino studs, and between the droughts of 1872 and 1902 Slade developed the Shorthorn stud to over one thousand pedigree females, one of the largest in the world. The Merino stud had such prestige that Slade maintained a closed flock until 1916. During that time he developed a heavier-fleeced flock, with wool that was stronger, of greater length and often brighter. He kept another line of Merinos of Vermont strain, separate from the Glengallan foundation stock, and also bred Lincolns. He exported stud Merinos to the Cape of Good Hope in 1888, a connection which was long continued.
Many more staff were required at Glengallan, even though shepherding was abandoned in favour of fenced paddocks, and sheep washing ceased in the 1870s. Glengallan concentrated on stud sheep and cattle, with fat lambs becoming important once rail transport and refrigeration came into the economic realm. One of Slade’s achievements was to transform Glengallan from a traditional pastoral stud property to one where intensive cultivation of lucerne and other fodder supported not only the stud stock but also wethers bought for fattening from western properties, and he was praised by contemporaries as the best manager in the Darling Downs. Further diversification included dairying and a substantial piggery.
At some point it appears that the main flow of Glengallan Creek became diverted down Backwater Creek, for what reason is not known. By 1892 three dams had been constructed on Glengallan Creek to provide irrigation to the paddocks. Water was still being pumped from the creek in the 1890s, but by the early 1900s water was being supplied by a bore on the northwest of Mt Marshall to a holding tank near the woolshed, and the house water system was reliant on rain water. The original timber shingles to the roof of Glengallan were sheeted over with corrugated iron and stormwater drainage was introduced. Pipes were installed at both the northwest and southwest corners of the house, with the northwest pipe feeding into the stone lined channel that runs along the west side of house with sandstone capping pieces. Pipes also fed into the roof tank.
In 1885 Glengallan covered 42,000 acres (17,000 ha), and from 1896 to 1904 Glengallan was progressively broken up into smaller units. After the original leases had expired in the 1860s, lease holders were permitted to acquire large areas by pre-emptive claim and further purchases. Considerable pressures were put upon the pastoralists due to demand for smaller land holdings, eventually resulting in the Selection Acts of the 1860s and 1870s which forced them to borrow heavily, and the fluctuation of wool prices meant that it was difficult for them to make a profit. The Agricultural Lands Purchase Act of 1894 was the instrument by which many of the large estates on the Downs were broken up. Under this Act, the Glengallan partnership restored its capital and recouped drought losses in three major subdivisions between 1895 and 1904, when the partnership came to an end. Slade actively offered his property to the Government and lobbied local Members of Parliament to assist in ensuring his offer was accepted.
In 1904, after the three major subdivisions, Slade retained 3,000 acres (1,200 ha) and repurchased the Glengallan Homestead block, reportedly between 1,275 and 2,000 acres (810 ha) in size, from the Government for £10,265. Later in 1904, Slade transferred the Glengallan Homestead and accompanying 482 acres (195 ha) to GH Gillespie, a member of the well known firm of Victorian Millers. It appears that by 1907, Clara Gillespie was farming the Glengallan Homestead portion with her son Alexander Frederick Gillespie.
Slade named his smaller estate East Glengallan, built himself a residence and continued with the Glengallan Merino and Shorthorn studs. Slade acquired properties near Warwick and at Gore, towards Inglewood, for his family. In 1912 East Glengallan was subdivided with the eldest son Oswald Carey Slade (1882-1956) managing the Merino stud. Slade’s other son Adrian also managed or was proprietor of award-winning studs.
WB Slade is celebrated as the archetypal Anglo-Australian patrician of Warwick, and was patron, office-bearer and benefactor of show societies, his church, Masonic Lodge and the Warwick branch of the Royal Society of St George. His great avocation was cricket, and he donated Slade Park to the Queensland I Zingari Cricket Club, which formed 1868 and of which he was one of the first members and Captain for almost 30 years. He established annual cricket matches at Glengallan and a pavilion was constructed. In 1932 he was appointed CBE, and he died 18 April 1938 and is buried in the Warwick cemetery. His name is remembered by the Slade School, Warwick.
Slade established a school, which had opened by 1886, and paid for its construction, desks, furniture and teacher. It was taken over by the Education Department in 1891, and was closed and relocated in 1904 when that portion of Glengallan was purchased by the government. Slade also gave 2 acres (0.81 ha) to the Anglican Church, and St Andrew’s Church was opened in 1908. St Andrew’s was described as a weatherboard church that could accommodate 200 people, painted dark red with pale green glass casement windows and a vestry at the western end. The church has since been relocated to St David’s, Allora, and is attached to the hall.
The only alteration made to Glengallan Homestead by Slade is thought to be the timber partition in the first floor northern room to accommodate children’s bedrooms.
By 1904 the structures at the head station consisted of Glengallan Homestead, with the rear cedar wing, kitchen and bath house attached, sandstone office/store, two storeyed stables, buggy shed, and servants quarters. The garden comprised a tennis court (often used for cricket practice) to the northeast of the house, a gravel/cobbled semi- circular drive lined by semi-circular garden beds and an extensive shrubbery, a lawn with a central circular garden, a tree lined drive (planted by Deuchar), and a box hedge separating the formal garden from the productive gardens. An orchard was located on the southern side of the house and was terraced down to Glengallan Creek which was fringed with willows. A vegetable garden was also located on the southern side or behind the house. Glengallan was described as giving the appearance of a picturesquely scattered township, and included many outbuildings and a large complex of structures nearer to the woolshed.
Clara Gillespie was declared insolvent in July 1910, and it appears that the property was transferred to her son Alexander Frederick Gillespie in January 1912. It is noted that financial problems plagued AF Gillespie, and during his occupation of the property there appears to have been no new buildings erected and some may have begun to deteriorate. It appears that the Glengallan Homestead portion was transferred to Oswald Carey Slade (son of WB Slade) in July 1918, and AF Gillespie died in 1926-27.
Oswald Carey Slade installed a manager, and it is recorded that the Atkinson family lived in the main house in 1927. Another manager and his family occupied the house from 1931 until he retired due to ill health in 1944-45. This was the last family to live at the house. During OC Slade’s ownership, the property further deteriorated with the area between the house and the office/store turned into a farmyard.
In 1919, Glengallan was described as being approached via a winding drive over a quarter mile long, with magnificent pine trees lining either side of the drive, a neat picket fence of 270 yards (250 m) surrounds the garden area, broken by a substantial gateway of stone pillars and iron gates. It was also described as having cobbled areas to the north side of the house and approaching the office/store doors, a fernery, small vineyard, homestead enclosure and adjacent small paddocks irrigated by pipes which were supplied by elevated tanks filled by a pump, stables with feed room and harness room, buggy shed for three vehicles, and a couple of six-room cottages for married men and their families. By this time, much of the infrastructure which originally supported Glengallan would have been disused or much modified.
Leslie centenary memorial gates, 2015
The two-storeyed stables burned down, probably in the late 1920s, and a stone paved and corrugated iron roofed shed was erected partly over the site. This was possibly also the site of the earlier stables as sketched by Conrad Martens in 1852, which were also possibly built on the site of the c.1842 stables. In the early 1930s the first floor of Glengallan House was unoccupied and the servants quarters, a long narrow timber building comprising rooms opening onto a verandah, was demolished. The stone pillars and iron gates were removed in 1940 to Leslie Park in Warwick where they were re-used to commemorate the centenary of the arrival of the Leslie brothers and the establishment of Canning Downs. In 1946 the kitchen and bath house were removed to other parts of the property, and later that year the cedar wing was dismantled and sold to Eddie Mogridge of Tannymorel, and it has subsequently been moved to Swanfels. The remains of a cemetery is located at a distance from Glengallan House to the southwest, but the date of establishment is not known.
Oswald Carey Slade was childless, and in 1931 he transferred East Glengallan to the Anglican Church, subject to a life tenancy.
In 1949 Mr and Mrs OC Slade gave Glengallan Homestead to the Anglican Church. The Anglican Church had plans to dismantle Glengallan and use the materials to build a War Memorial Science Block at the Slade School in Warwick, but this did not eventuate. The school leased the property to various people for farming purposes.
After the property was accepted by the Anglican Church, no development was seriously attempted. Glengallan Homestead was left often open and used as shelter by goats and birds, and many of the fittings were removed. In 1972 the property was transferred to the Smith family. Glengallan was left unoccupied, its remaining gardens were turned into paddocks, and the slow creep of soil from cultivated paddocks above was allowed to continue. The only visible structures were the main house and the sandstone office/store.
A 1975 report noted that the structure was in reasonably good condition, some sheets of corrugated iron had blown off the roof and the verandahs had deteriorated. By 1983 the southern verandah had collapsed and the eastern verandah was unstable, water was entering the building and more corrugated iron sheets were missing.
In 1983, a group of fourth year architecture students from the University of Queensland made a set of measured drawings of Glengallan House. These were followed up by a conservation analysis funded by a National Estate Grant in 1983, 1984 and 1986, carried out by the Department of Architecture University of Queensland. Recommendations for the conservation and management of Glengallan were made, but no organisation was willing to undertake them. In 1993 Glengallan House and its surrounding grounds were gifted to the non-profit Glengallan Homestead Trust which was formed in 1993.
Since then archaeological excavations have been carried out, mainly involving the drainage, water and sewerage systems. However, works have also been carried out resulting in some damage to the property. These works include the removal of black soil overburden, the provision of water, power and telephone, the installation of a toilet block and septic system, excavation for rebuilding of verandah walls, the construction of a shed, and the verandahs have been largely removed. The roof has been repaired, with some new structural members being inserted, and resheeted with corrugated iron with some of the original timber shingles being retained in situ.
Glengallan Homestead is open to the public for viewing.
Wall showing ruinous state before conservation, 2015
Glengallan Homestead is located on the southwestern slope of Mount Marshall at the mouth of a wide valley, running west from Cunningham’s Gap, near the junction of the Cunningham and New England Highways approximately 15 kilometres (9.3 mi) north of Warwick. The fenced area of land on which the homestead is located is accessed via an easement from the New England Highway to the southwest. The homestead has been in a ruinous condition but is undergoing conservation works.
The homestead is a long, narrow two-storeyed ashlar sandstone structure, built on an approximately north-south axis, with a hipped corrugated iron roof. The symmetrical principal elevation faces in an easterly direction overlooking the valley and towards Mount Dumaresq in the distance, which it resembles in silhouette. The rear elevation has projecting sandstone blocks on the north and south ends, indicating the intended two-storeyed extensions which were never built and which would have formed a U-shaped plan. The building originally had a timber shingled roof, and some of these shingles remain under the corrugated iron sheeting.
The building has the remains of double height verandahs to the north, east and south. The most intact section of verandah is located at the northern end, with the southern end almost completely missing. The ground floor verandahs have paired, narrow ornamental cast iron columns, which were produced by the Russell Foundry of Sydney, in front and to either side of a tubular cast iron column which was intended to support the load above. These columns are currently in place only to the northern end and part of the western side, and are supported by sandstone plinths which in turn are supported by a footing wall. The paired Russell Foundry columns were also located on the first floor verandah where they acted as structural members. The inside face of the columns had timber panelling which, to the ground floor verandah, aligned with expressed false beams in the timber panelled ceiling. The ground floor columns support a timber web truss, which in turn supports the first floor verandah above. The first floor verandah had cast iron balustrades, also produced by the Russell Foundry, which have been removed.
The ground floor verandahs originally had a fixed timber louvred panelled frieze, which was the remnants of a louvred system intended to have panels which ran in tracks located at the side of the columns allowing the verandah to be enclosed, but where venetian blinds were installed instead. The ground floor verandahs had timber floors which have been removed, and a central set of sandstone steps accessing the main entrance on the eastern side.
The east and south walls have smooth faced sandstone blocks, while the north and west walls have picked faced sandstone. Both floors have French doors with arched fanlights opening onto the verandahs, with three sets of doors either side of the central entry, and all arched headers have expressed vermiculated keystones. The central entry has double doors with sidelights, and an arched fanlight with coloured glass segments surmounted by an expressed keystone carved in relief with the initials JD 1867 surrounded by a garland of leaves. The doors and sidelights have timber lower panels with etched, arched glazed upper panels. The French doors are similar and open inwards. Originally these doors had a second set of doors which opened outwards and contained a timber lower panel with an upper panel of copper mesh, presumably as an insect screen. The ground floor north and south elevations have a projecting sandstone bay with a central French door flanked by a tall, narrow sash window.
The ground floor western wall has timber panelled doors with arched fanlight at the north and south ends. A similar doorway is located in the centre under the internal staircase, but the door is missing. These doors are accessed by rough sandstone steps and a timber ramp, and a stone lined stormwater drain is located in front of and running parallel to this wall. A tall sash window is located above the central door, with a smaller sash to either side. This symmetrical elevation has two chimney stacks which have picked-faced sandstone to the base, and smooth-faced sandstone above surmounted by a large cornice with curved capping pieces. The western wall has marks in the sandstone above the northern door which indicate the roof profile of the covered way which was originally located connected there.
Dining room, 2015
Internally, the building has a symmetrical plan with a central hall and stairwell flanked by the former dining room on the north and former drawing room on the south. The first floor has a bedroom at either end, separated from the stairwell by an ante room and linked by a short hallway. The plaster finishes are thought to be original, but have suffered much water damage.
All the masonry walls are plastered, and on the first floor the non-masonry walls are lath and plaster. The ceilings are lath and plaster, and all rooms have plaster cornices, with the widths and designs varying in different rooms. Principal rooms have ornate central plaster ceiling roses, with the dining room containing two roses which would have been positioned above a central table. Throughout the building, the skirtings, architraves, doors and floor boards are cedar. Doors are panelled with etched, arched glass fanlights, and evidence of early decoration include brackets for curtain rods.
Drawing room, 2015
The drawing room originally had a white marble fireplace surround with relief carving of fruit, and the dining room had a black marble fireplace surround, both of which have been removed. The main bedroom, on the south, has a cedar fireplace surround and evidence of a shelving unit which was located between the chimney breast and adjacent wall but was probably not an original fitting. The adjacent ante-room housed a bathroom, and surviving evidence include vertically jointed timber panelling and a cedar surround for a shower rose. The bathroom originally housed a slate bath and flushing toilet. The northern bedroom has a vertically jointed timber partition wall which divides the room in two but which does not reach the ceiling height. This room had a cedar fireplace surround which has been removed, but the register grate is in place. The adjacent ante-room is thought to have been a nursery or dressing room.
The stairwell contains a U-shaped curving cedar staircase which as been partly restored. A protective timber cover and temporary handrail has been installed, with the original turned cedar balustrade and handrail in place to the first floor landing. The stair is lit by a tall sash window.
To the west of the homestead is the office/store. This single-storeyed sandstone building has a hipped corrugated iron roof, which originally had timber shingles, and a cellar. The stonework consists of a rough alternation of thick and thin bands, and the northern elevation has a central entrance flanked by a window to either side. A second entrance is located on the eastern side facing the homestead, two windows are located on the southern side, and the cellar is entered from the west via a flight of seven sandstone steps, but the original entrance door has been removed. The building has air vents to the cellar just above ground level. Internally, this building originally had two rooms with separate entries, but the internal wall has been removed. The walls are plastered and a ceiling has been installed. Remains of cobbled paths around the building are evident.
Cultivation of the paddocks above the homestead has resulted in the site being mantled in 300 millimetres (12 in) of black soil. Some of this overburden has been removed, but the majority of the site has been protected and the position of early structures may be able to be identified with further investigation. Excavations have been undertaken to the site of the cedar wing and kitchen complex, stables, stormwater drains and sewerage system, and to a large part of the area north and west of the office. The site boundary fence passes across the corner of the partly excavated area of the stables.
The remains of the gardens include two Norfolk Island Pines appear to mark the position of the original entrance gates and stone pillars to the northeast of the homestead. The form of the raised tennis court and curved drive can be determined, and a number of mature trees are located at the northern end of the homestead. Remains of the orchard, to the south of the homestead, include a number of gnarled and twisted fruit trees.
Mummified cat, 2015
An unexpected discovery during conservation works was the remains of a mummified cat underneath the floorboards. It is not known if the cat was accidentally entombed there or whether it was linked to medieval practice to ward off evil spirits, possibly linked to building trade guilds.
Glengallan Homestead was listed on the Queensland Heritage Register on 21 October 1992 having satisfied the following criteria.
The place is important in demonstrating the evolution or pattern of Queensland’s history.
The district surrounding Glengallan Homestead was part of the area Allan Cunningham discovered and explored in 1827. The Glengallan Run was part of the first Darling Downs run, selected by Patrick Leslie in 1840, and was established and named by brothers Colin and John Campbell in 1841-42. The approximate site of the present homestead appears to have been established c.1842, and since that time has been located in a pivotal position on the main roads, which have changed slightly in position, from Toowoomba/Drayton heading towards the south and from the Downs properties heading towards Cunningham’s Gap.
The homestead was built in 1867-68 by John Deuchar who, with partner Charles Henry Marshall, established the famous Glengallan Merino flock and Shorthorn stud. The breeding tradition established by Deuchar was further developed by William Ball Slade who maintained the pre-eminence of the Glengallan stud from 1873 until the property was sold in 1904. Slade also transformed Glengallan from a traditional pastoral stud property to one where intensive cultivation of lucerne and other fodder supported not only the stud stock but also wethers bought for fattening from western properties. Further diversification included dairying and a substantial piggery, and Slade was praised by his contemporaries as the best manager on the Darling Downs. Slade was also described as the archetypal Anglo-Australian patrician of Warwick, being a patron, office-bearer, benefactor and member of numerous societies, clubs, the Masonic Lodge and Anglican Church.
The place demonstrates rare, uncommon or endangered aspects of Queensland’s cultural heritage.
Glengallan Homestead is a two-storeyed sandstone structure and as such, with the exception of Jimbour House, is a rare example of a Queensland homestead of that period which were mainly single-storeyed timber structures. Although the homestead was built as part of a larger, uncompleted design, the grand architectural concept can be appreciated and, with its picturesque siting, the building is recognised as a landmark in the surrounding rural landscape.
The place has potential to yield information that will contribute to an understanding of Queensland’s history.
The site contains archaeological remains which could provide further information concerning the living conditions on the property and the development of the homestead and associated complex of buildings from the 1840s.
The place is important in demonstrating the principal characteristics of a particular class of cultural places.
The homestead and surrounding landscape provide evidence of the way of life of a large Darling Downs Station, from its establishment to eventual decline, and the building is symbolic of the power and prestige of the Darling Downs squatters in the mid to late nineteenth century.
The place is important because of its aesthetic significance.
As a ruin of a grand homestead, which has strong associations with the history and pastoral development of the Darling Downs, the building has unique aesthetic and cultural attributes and has been the subject of much community concern and recent conservation action, as reflected in its current administration by the Glengallan Homestead Trust Ltd.
The place is important in demonstrating a high degree of creative or technical achievement at a particular period.
The fabric of the building exhibits a sophisticated design approach, and the detailing of the materials reflects a fine quality of craftsmanship. Some elements of the building were technically innovative for the time, particularly the verandah louvre system and French doors with insect screens, reflecting a consideration for the Queensland climate and conditions.
The place has a strong or special association with a particular community or cultural group for social, cultural or spiritual reasons.
As a ruin of a grand homestead, which has strong associations with the history and pastoral development of the Darling Downs, the building has unique aesthetic and cultural attributes and has been the subject of much community concern and recent conservation action, as reflected in its current administration by the Glengallan Homestead Trust Ltd.
The place has a special association with the life or work of a particular person, group or organisation of importance in Queensland’s history.
The district surrounding Glengallan Homestead was part of the area Allan Cunningham discovered and explored in 1827. The Glengallan Run was part of the first Darling Downs run, selected by Patrick Leslie in 1840, and was established and named by brothers Colin and John Campbell in 1841-42.
The homestead was built in 1867-68 by John Deuchar who, with partner Charles Henry Marshall, established the famous Glengallan Merino flock and Shorthorn stud. The breeding tradition established by Deuchar was further developed by William Ball Slade who maintained the pre-eminence of the Glengallan stud from 1873 until the property was sold in 1904.
Slade was also described as the archetypal Anglo-Australian patrician of Warwick, being a patron, office-bearer, benefactor and member of numerous societies, clubs, the Masonic Lodge and Anglican Church.
Image by new 1lluminati
Divide and Conquer or Unite and Triumph
Make Love, Not War – Two Wrongs Don’t Make a Left
Two heads may be better than one, but not if they bash against each other. The human species is pitted against itself and against its own enlightened self interest at the dawn of this bright New Millennium. The unexamined human mind is similarly split and fractured, its potential as yet unrealised.
The fracture lines are exposed by our various tribal superstitions and regional lies, but aren’t caused by these outdated totemic religious dogmas and catechisms. Most of the planet is blatantly lorded over by fossilised dynasties and racist dictators. Where you see any single family holding multiple positions of power you’re looking at gangsters in operation, running a parasitic kleptocracy. Cronyism and nepotism are age-old methods of feathering your own nest and fending off rival petty tyrants at everyone else’s expense.
Tyrants use racism as the primal wedge to force populations apart, in order to divide and conquer all comers. Every other antagonistic ‘ism’ is another version of a single primordial fear – the fear of the other and of the unknown, embodied in racism and justified by religion and patriotism.
The so-called ‘free world’ appears to be trapped in an illusion of democracy that delivers power into the hands of exactly the same classes of mediocre incompetents and all too efficient control freaks – who also believe they’re born to hoodwink and rule over everyone else.
While life and liberty are infinitely more secure under a compassionate and swiftly acting rule of law than under the whims of inherently insane brutal overseers, no nation on Earth can honestly boast it has a completely free, independent, incorruptible or efficient legal system – let alone a free one. All democracies face similar hurdles.
Under the simple U.N. definition of a democracy – a nation that has given the vote to all its adult citizens for a generation or more – very few countries measure up. Even the United States only qualified as a democracy after the end of the Cold War – twenty-five years after it finally gave the vote to African Americans in all southern states in the mid-sixties.
More than one in a hundred US citizens are currently incarcerated in a rapidly expanding privatised penal system – a higher proportion than any other country. Libertarianism and liberty are not the same thing; as President Roosevelt famously remarked, freedom includes freedom from as well as freedom to. He included the freedom from want as one of the essential four freedoms that America embodied, in his almost universally accepted vision of the American Dream. This freedom has been derided and ignored by subsequent corporation-run governments as ‘socialist’, ‘communist’ and, even worse, ‘utopian’.
There is no free country on planet Earth – yet – but we can make one! First we have to disassemble all the false divisions that separate us into illusory competing groups, which congeal our shared blood into false notions of nations, states and races. To do this we have to see that our emperors have no clothes except those we choose – or are convinced – to give them.
If you want complete control over the human species the oldest trick in the book is to divide the struggling primates into illusory nations and artificial countries, to pit parochial tribes against other nearby ignoramuses. Take a look at Iraq, for instance – a country that was literally invented wholesale by conquering Western interests early last century. It was created with deliberate, easily exploitable faults and fractures so that racist warmongers could hold onto the region’s resources – including energy supplies – and keep control of a vital strategic corridor, with a classic move in what was universally known in Imperial times as the ‘Great Game’.
The fact that Iraq’s artificially created borders contained mutually antagonistic groups who had never been able to live together peacefully was a major bonus for the conquering crusaders – a deliberate ploy of the Western Powers that’s been widely used throughout history. Until 1959 they were able to steal all the deeply riven despot-governed “Iraqi” peoples’ energy supplies without paying a single pound or dollar in royalties. The now largely forgotten Iraqi revolution temporarily freed its people from the yoke of Imperialistic oppression, but built-in internal divisions, exploitative neighbours and imperialist retaliation undid the fledgling nation spectacularly. Watch this space for no further developments – just more of the same.
The Americans learned the tactic of divide and conquer from the English, who picked up the trick from the Roman Empire. The technique is much older than Rome, originating in primate sibling rivalry and unexamined, culturally entrained competitive behaviour. ‘Division’ is an ancient trick of the divine gods who rule over mortals – the word ‘divide’, ‘divine’ and ‘devil’ all spring from the same root of the Tree of Knowledge of Life and Death, in case you’re interested in that sort of thing.
Most self-professed democratic nations literally labour under the illusion that they have freedom of choice – when they only have two nearly identical thumb-twiddling, tweedle-dumber political parties to choose between. Governments are mainly comprised of old men corrupted by power and fear, and officious Oppositions usually only serve to oppose – they hardly ever contribute anything new or meaningful to a rigged debate.
When you only have to bribe, coerce and co-opt a handful of figures in Cabinet and Opposition you have little to fear from the many millions of subjects who believe their vote means something. Unless you actually know a politician intimately and personally – know them well enough to be absolutely certain they’re honest and motivated solely by the best ideals – only new faces in politics can be trusted at all; you can more easily see their reactions to the strings attempting to pull them.
Some members of the tyranny of despots would like to be good shepherds instead of wily predators, and some are working to remold the world into a more splendid image than their devolutionary fellows – but to exercise power over others is an inherently corrupting Faustian pastime.
Under these circumstances your vote can only mean something if you don’t vote for either of the two alternatives that have a chance of winning! In practice the ‘choice’ comes down to a primitive playoff between two corporate-industrial-military front-men, whose faces and voices are almost all that most citizens see or hear of their governments. Meaningful change is rendered impossible in this false gladiatorial contest. If you have no choice but to vote for a party, then vote for a third force that may hold the balance of power without being already corrupted by it.
Freedom Exits Under Dominator’s Adversarial Laws
The simple but supremely successful trick of duopoly politics holds the world in thrall to a fundamentally feudal hive structure of remote masters, bureaucratic governors and workers who jump for carrots and cringe from sticks.
Democracy is far more than the sham of party politics, and real democracy is strangled to death by fat cats enjoying expensive private parties held at everyone else’s expense – lousy parties with tinny music, bland costumes and boring speeches – cringe-worthy parties which are no fun at all. Real democracy requires that people can elect representatives who will represent them – not some other individual, group or party.
The whole notion of parties representing the people is an inherently absurd historical error that we now have the means to correct. In the newly emergent interconnected age of distributed networks, we can each become a sovereign of our own true estate – our bodies – and all have a truly equal say and vote in where our species is headed. Modern technologies and widening education bring a truly global democracy within easy reach. Individuals could simply vote for issues and cut out the middleman politicians entirely!
But before we can trust majorities with ultimate – if democratic – power over minorities who may be very different from them, we have a multitude of issues to address and rectify. Fortunately, a fair global framework already exists to protect us all from our own potential errors, one which provides an almost universally ratified Bill of Rights covering every child, woman and man on Earth.
The various U.N. treaties regarding all sorts of rights have been assembled under an adequate umbrella of universal protection known as the International Bill of Rights. It already forms the basis for many domestic laws that various nations have adopted under its articles – but chances are that as a mere citizen you’ve been kept entirely in the dark as to the true reasons behind your particular government’s apparent wisdom and largesse.
The International Bill of Rights is easily accessed via United Nations websites and is easily digested; see if you can find anything in it with which you disagree. It’s likely that the vast majority of humans on the planet will have no problems with its definitions of rights and freedoms, but there are many other issues to deal with if global electronic democracy is to become a reality – for instance, finding a way to curb the power of programmers and technocrats, and the powers of our easily controlled, utterly coercible and censorable mass media. We face ancient dilemmas; who guards the guardians and who watches the watchers? And how do you disarm a paranoid bunch of brainwashed tribalists armed by despots who profit from the continual killing – and who control their civilization?
We have to make an end to war. Creating peace involves creating a space without suffering or violence. If we want to end war a good place to start – if you’re serious about changing your attitudes but can’t abandon or thoroughly alter your current life – is at the kindergarten level of competitive training for violent combat and war; sport.
Competitive sports train the innocent for war. That’s the whole point behind encouraging the ‘masses’ to back and barrack for tribalistic, totemically differentiated teams, folks; it teaches that life, war friendship, love and politics can all be dealt with using the same brainless reflexive win-lose concepts and simplifies everything to an easily divisible level. Sport and war reduce the multitude to elevate the domineering.
If you want to change your world stop paying any attention to the stupid duopolistic distractions of competitive sport and party politics. Many will rebel at this – that’s the whole point. Most current day politics, finance, wars and pieces are equally delusory distractions, keeping your eyes off the prize and your mind off the main game by turning off your mind.
All problems with our conscious decision making processes stem from the self-same source, whether they be individual or collective.
We have to understand where this global split personality arises from; it comes from within each of us. The adversarial structures of our systems of law and government arise from minds that continually argue with themselves and never know peace or inner silence.
This is not just a consequence of the bicameral – twin chambered – nature of our split brain structure – it’s a result of a planetary shockwave that affected us all in prehistory, resulting in our collective and individual inability to recover from a blow to the head delivered simultaneously to the entire species. The Earth was struck by a massive interplanetary discharge – a planet-wide electric shock felt by all, amid a global catastrophe that threatened to extinguish our species.
Remember the ancient Babylonian (Iraqi) story of the ‘Tower of Babel’ and humanity’s cleavage into disparate tribes and nations who could suddenly no longer understand each other? It’s instructive to note that the chroniclers of this pre-Biblical narrative averred that the sky god destroyed the tower to divide Humanity and thus render us powerless – because we were beginning to rival the deities themselves. *
We have little understanding of what abilities we’ve lost as a species – like many victims of electro-shock therapy, we are afflicted with partial amnesia. Suffice to say that once upon a time we could all ‘hear’ on more than one level… whether we remember or believe it or not – and that ability and many others are well within our reach and grasp. The younger you are when you start to change yourself the easier it will be.
Until both hemispheres of our brains can operate together in a balanced synergy – which can only arise from the healing light of clear self-examination and careful tuning – our star-spanning minds are reduced to an argumentative, jostling conversation between two or more equally half-blinded and crippled parts. When we become internally unified and fully integrated we have the ability to tune in with – and on – anything and anyone, anywhere and anytime; and self-styled gods of all creeds and stripes find the idea of such a self-aware Humanity repulsive; it renders us abominably uncontrollable and unbindably free.
The almost universal mental imbalance resulting from this lack of internal attunement is the origin of all apparent divisions and false dichotomies that surround us. Our brains are instruments that require tuning – and harmony is only possible when all crazy notions of aloneness and competition are cast aside.
When we open ALL our eyes we can easily see that disagreement isn’t required to reach the truth, and argument isn’t necessary to arrive at easily achievable and universally agreeable goals. It’s easy to see that all of us are one being staring through the starry eyes of a multitude – and to know that death is impossible.
All it takes is to the ability to do nothing and think nothing. Absolutely nothing. The moment of wonder is only a moment away when you’ve mastered this ‘simple’ trick – the first step to true enlightenment. The world is always waiting for you to reemerge from the delight of the light imbued with immanent innocence; the universe is alive, and responds to your inner sense. The universe is a co-creation and it takes all kinds to make a world. Even if you can transform yourself in the bright void of superconsciousness, your life awaits you on your return. Changing the world means changing your mind and your life; the devil lies in the details you slowly shed with your old discarded skin.
The Whole Holy Hologram
If you want to change your world, the only place to start is within yourself. This requires continual self examination and an awareness and recognition of your true motives and programming. It requires abandoning the false ideas of notional nations, separate races, superior religious superstitions and parted politics. It means rechannelling all your competitive behaviour and attitudes into a recognition of unity with others – and with all things. It’s easy to recognise the all-powerful unity that lies within our vast diversity of cultures, perspectives and beliefs when you stop identifying with individual idiosyncratic fractions and factions. The whole is far greater than the sum of its parts.
The real Great Game is the Royal Maze of the Mind that leads to enlightenment. The gate to the core of the maze resides at the core of your brain, in the central space between and behind your eyes and between your ears, below the crown of your head. If you locate yourself there – right now – and view the world from the perspective of the centre of your own head, you’ll see your view widen from a narrow tunnel to a wide expanse that incorporates everything in your field of view.
We’re primates living in a planetary tree that’s scarred with the graffito of our passions – loves and hates born of our illusory fear of mortality and separation, which compel us to make our mark on the world. We can do better than simply making marks and leaving scars.
All we have to look beyond the surface differences that camouflage our identically innocent spirits and wise ancient souls. If we want to start making a paradise planet out of this industrialised wasteland we have to recognise where the primal split in our species really lies. The first illusory division in our species – and the hideous result of our ongoing inner distractions and artificially contrived divisions – is the enduring armed truce in the pointless, ultimately unsurvivable battle of the sexes.
When peace is made between woman and man the planet can flower into a garden paradise fit for children. When our apparent differences are recognised for what they are – interlinked and interlocking survival strategies designed for life and consciousness to expand on the floating crust of a chaotically changeable ball of hot mud circling a blazing electric fireball – we can celebrate the gift of the interlocking jigsaw puzzles that our bodies and tribes really are.
We can learn that our species-split sexuality is a technique of regeneration and transformation on an individual and global scale – we’re not just a tools used by a bunch of genes for their own survival, but companions, lovers and co-creators. We can learn to control our own fertility at will and lovemaking can keep us young and supple, and be a portal to higher consciousness and the abilities it provides.
The techniques are miraculously still available, despite being long suppressed by rigid prudes worshipping the same false religions that burned Giordano Bruno at the stake – along with many millions of wise women and men – and which still stone women to death for being outdoors alone, or refuse to allow their sheeple to use contraceptives.
The place to make world peace real is in the still core of your mind and the still, pure warmth in the core of your heart. The way to heal yourself and the planet is to still your mind and make love – real, true, non-possessive abundant love – and as the hippies said, if you can’t be with the one you love then love the one you’re with.
It’s a dirty job, but someone has to do it – it might as well be you. Make love, not war; when we learn to accept each other and work together life is no longer a job or chore, but a work of divinely inspired Art. When we open our eyes in the new fresh dawn of sensuously rational happiness we find we don’t have to climb out of the purblind pit of false dogma and censored history – we’re already free in a brave new world.
– R. Ayana
Turn on! Tune in! Opt out of the system that’s destroying your world and do something else! You literally create reality as you pass through it.
Welcome to the New Aeon. Together we can create an astounding New Millennium!
“Time flies when you don’t notice a single thing.”
Wonder Boy – Age 9
Image – author’s
See and be the New Illuminati @ nexusilluminati.blogspot.com